Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: Anamorphic S8

  1. #21
    Inactive Member MadFor3D's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2001
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Talking

    Wow,

    I'm so glad I found this forum. Exactly the kind of info I've been looking for.

    So, it sounds like you just have to luck out and find a lens that does this that can be made to fit your camera?

    This is the only article I've found on the web that lists some such lens's.
    http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lave...namorphic.html

    If I could get one that would fit my Nizo's 62mm lens filter size I'd be stoked as hell.
    -M

  2. #22
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Bausch & Lomb lenses I found on Ebay are 70mm!!!
    So they would fit.
    I have to add this warning though, I haven't actually gotten them yet, so keep watching this posting for my results.
    It may not work, so I don't want to give false hope!
    Matt Pacini

  3. #23
    Inactive Member ekoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2000
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    mr. max tomley,
    a pleasure to see you in this forum, my friend.

    matt,
    i have a bausch & lomb very similar to the one you describe. mine is the b&l cinemascope projector attachment I. the problem with my lens is that the closest it will focus is 50 ft (for projection).
    on the other hand, the zeiss ikon anamorphot III will focus to infinity, making it much better suited for acquisition.
    and a pleasure to see you here, as well, matt.

    ekoe

  4. #24
    Inactive Member max tomley's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks Edward!
    I've been reading so much on this hostboard but feel to ignorant to post messages!!! I'm grateful for your help
    You mention a ziess anamorphot III.
    1. would that fit an angenoux 8-64mm lense?
    2. Does it render a high quality image?
    3. how much does that cost and where could I purchase it?
    4. just what is it that super 8 sound is selling as their anamorphic lense?
    ...thanks a lot to everyone on this hostboard!!

  5. #25
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ekoe, are you telling me that I can't shoot any closer than 50 feet????
    (That would suck!).
    Have you actually used the lens?
    I was told by a pro cinematographer, that even though the lens is rated as 50ft-infinity for projection, that it probably would still work on the camera (I forget his explanation, but it made sense).
    So, I'm wondering, did you actually try the lens out, and find the 50ft limit to hold true, or are you just assuming because it says that?
    Thanks,
    Matt

  6. #26
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    Matt, the thing about Super-8 Sound is this...

    I'd rather they be rude and arrogant and in business, than polite and nice and out of business.

    A lot of people bailed on Super-8 in the 80's based on the introduction of VHS and 8mm camcorders...in retrospect, weren't they the biggest losers of all.

    Many Super-8 shops were Nice and Sweet and IMMEDIATELY BAILED on Super-8.

    Versatile Video in Palo Alto was doing Rank Cintel Transfers for Super-8 in 1981, so there was light at the end of the rainbow.

    Unfortunately, quality one-inch video editing was $300.00 an hour!

    The nice Super-8 people left at the first drop of rain, and never came back.

    The very few who stayed (Super-8 Sound) and made it through the flood...why should anyone judge them when there is no one from that era to compare them to?

    -Alex

  7. #27
    Inactive Member ekoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2000
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i automatically eliminated the prospect of shooting with the bausch&lomb because i always read that you need the capability to focusing to infinity.
    this might only be true of anamorphic attachments which you must affix to the front of your lens. in that case you are unable to focus your taking lens as this would rotate the attachment as well, giving you that atrocious anamorphic spin.
    (assuming your lens is not internal focus).
    however, if you mount the attachment independent of the lens, using a bracket like the manfrotto you just purchased, it may be possible to adjust the anamorphic to 50ft, then correct this by focusing your lens. ? hm.
    on second thought, matt, that lens might just work.
    test it.



  8. #28
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I got my anamorphic lenses today.
    (sob, sniffle sniffle).
    It ain't going to work, kids!
    It would ,but here's the problem:
    My cameras lens is just too freakin' big.
    I was going to add the anamorphics to my Nizo 6080 (67mm) and my Bauer 715XL-S (72mm)
    The Bausch & Lomb anamorphics have a back end diameter of just over 70mm, so I thought it would work, but once I held the lens over my cameras lens, it was vinietting quite a bit, unless I zoomed in to where the effect was really negated. (Because it was zoomed in to where it was no longer wide angle at all.... I could see wider with the anamorphic off, and the zoom all the way out.)
    I'm sure this would work with a camera with a lens that was smaller, but be forwarned: if you're thinking of doing this, you need an anamorphic that is quite a bit larger than your camera's lens.
    I'm going to test it on my Nikon Super zoom (standard nikon diameter... what is it... 52mm?) to see if it works, just for your info, but since that's not my main camera, this doesn't really solve my problem.
    If anyone is interested in these lenses, they're awesome, it's a really cool look, not as weird looking as I thought it would be to compose through them either.
    Just make sure you aren't going to use it on a camera with a 62mm-ish or larger lens.
    Matt Pacini

  9. #29
    Inactive Member MrObvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2000
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face


    Sorry to hear that your anamorphic experiment has failed, for now. I never dared try and match an anamorphic attachment to a lens thread of that size... the lenses are just too big and a bracket would be a major pain in the ass. So I intend to match a 52mm (or so) anamorphic to my prime lenses (Switar 10mm, 50mm, 75mm, Angenieux 25/0.95). I believe I already have a bracket that will fit! Only time will tell... but I'm looking forward to it! I'll let you know how my experiment goes...


    Marc S.


  10. #30
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Why did it take Arriflex so long to jump on the Anamorphic bandwagon if you want to call it that?? Because it goes against good German logic--why oh dear why would you try to cram more information on to the limited surface area of the film??? Thus degrading quality--there is no reason as far as I am concerned. I think that anamorphic was and is a way for the cinema to try to make it something that you can't get at home--a Widescreen. Now, that HDTV is on everyones mind--everyone wants anamorphic. I say shoot the aspect ratio that the film was designed for and leav it at that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •